an interesting survey

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Sat Jul 12 12:47:27 UTC 2008

As the site rather obliquely suggests, this is linked to a forthcoming TV programme, and if the project rings a few bells in certain quarters, this may be because the format has been purchased from the BBC.  Even the corrected figure is a minute proportion of Russia's population, and the problem with all such exercises is that they are easily hi-jacked by minority groups pursuing a particular agenda, which is what I understand has happened in this particular case.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandra Smith <Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:38:49 +0100
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] an interesting survey

Dear colleagues,

I've just heard about a curious survey that attempts to identify the
most representative "cult" figures of Russian history (its' called
"The name of Russia"). 766 292 people voted so far, and the first 6
people are as follows: (1) Stalin, Vysotsky, Lenin, Nicholas 2,
Pushkin, Esenin,etc. You could view the results on this
site: http://www.nameofrussia.ru/rating.html

Surprisingly, Peter the Great occupies only the 13th place and he
scored only 72 205 votes... Yeltsin is slightly ahead of him...

All best,
Alexandra

------------------------------
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna