an interesting survey

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Jul 12 14:53:37 UTC 2008

John Dunn is right: it's a small portion of the population, moreover
the voting is done in highly unscientific way; someone on my blog
wrote that he voted five times for Stalin. In other words, the voting
system does not prevent you from voting as many times as you want.

On the other hand, John Dunn is wrong, because even according to the
optimistic BBC article http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/russian/russia/
newsid_7155000/7155377.stm nearly one-third of the country believe
that it was Stalin who won WWII, and this is a very powerful argument
in Russia.

On Jul 12, 2008, at 8:47 AM, John Dunn wrote:

> As the site rather obliquely suggests, this is linked to a
> forthcoming TV programme, and if the project rings a few bells in
> certain quarters, this may be because the format has been purchased
> from the BBC.  Even the corrected figure is a minute proportion of
> Russia's population, and the problem with all such exercises is
> that they are easily hi-jacked by minority groups pursuing a
> particular agenda, which is what I understand has happened in this
> particular case.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW