translation question

Vadim Besprozvany vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Mon Jul 21 04:23:59 UTC 2008

The answer of the second question is much obvious: "praporshchik"
(Engl. ensign) is a junior officer in an infantry regiment; from
"prapor" - "flag, banner" *(cf. with English "ensign"). "Warrant
Officer" usually means in Russian "unter-oficer."
The first question is a much more knotty problem. There are at least
two answers: 1) based on a recent common sense that understands
??nemetskii shag? in P'etsukh is a sort of firm ceremonial step that
one can observe in German military units; 2) based on Yurii Gryzhanich
(?POLITICS,? Part 4): he explains ??nemetskii shag? as a ?crane step?
[zhuravlinyi shag].

Having a right for translator's commentaries, I would explain my
understanding (most likely, for the first problem) ? it is always
better than any amotivational decision, especially in the absence of
unanimity.

Good luck,

Vadim Besprozvany