translation question

Mon Jul 21 00:05:07 UTC 2008

Krystyna and Nory Steiger wrote:

> Dear SEELANGERS,
>
> I'm working on a translation of Viacheslav P'etsukh's novella Novaia
> moskovskaia filosofiia due to be published early next year, and am
> having trouble with a few things even at this late date.  My
> submission today has to do with 2 different military terms. The first
> is a reference to what is likely the Soviet defensive on Sept. 30,
> 1941 against the German offensive against Leningrad.  The context is
> this: a pedantic but humorous narrator suggests Russians take their
> literature for truth. After citing a paragraph from Crime and
> Punishment he insists that "even if there had been [a young man such
> as Raskol'nikov] he never walked out of the yard toward evening in
> the direction of K- bridge, and even if he had, then it wasn't 'as
> though in a state of indecision' but, on the contrary, немецким шагом
> [nemetskim shagom] ... out of quarters in the Izmailovskii Regiment,
> early in the morning of September 30." I thought it was "goose-step,"
> which I've seen since is гусиный шаг [gusinyi shag], and have
> tentatively settled for "in a military step."  Any other suggestions?
>

> Also, would "Artillery Warrant Officer" be the proper translation for
> прапорщик [praporshchik] in the Russian Imperial Army?

Sorry, can't answer your questions (not my area of expertise), but the
Russian Imperial Army тут ни при чем as it hadn't existed for at least
two decades when the Germans invaded.

P.S. I've retyped your Cyrillic because your Outlook Express sent your
message in Western encoding, turning all the Cyrillic to question marks.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com