translation question

Vadim Besprozvany vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Mon Jul 21 22:22:02 UTC 2008

According to American modern dictionaries the rank of "praporschik" is
below lieutenant junior grade but in the Navy; whereas in Russian it
would be ?michman? rather than "praporschik". Besides that the problem
is complicated since we talk about the same word with significant
differences in meaning, in this case - with a historic notion (in
Russian the old and modern words are common only by their signifier).
Also the system of ranks in various armies  has specifics supported by
cultural tradition, so I very much doubt that this realia  simply
exists in AE. That is why any comment is better than a definite but
defective choice. Of course, if it?s just a matter of choice, a final
approximate choice ? ?warrant officer?, ?military commissioner,? even
??junior lieutenant? or simply ?lieutenant? will fit.

Best,

VB