Slovak dialects

Dickins, Thomas T.Dickins at WLV.AC.UK
Wed Jul 23 11:11:36 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Further to my last email, the schema didn't quite come out as intended! Here's a simplified version (without boxes, highlighting, italics etc.). I'm sorry that the system doesn't seem to like my hácky.

CZECH REPUBLIC

Codified variety: Standard Czech (spisovná cestina)
Dej mouku ze mlýna na vozík

Macrodialects: Common Czech (obecná cestina)
Dej mouku ze mlejna na vozejk

Traditional dialects (and dialect groups): Bohemian: North-eastern, Central, South-western, Czech-Moravian
Dej mouku ze mlejna na vozejk

Central Moravian (Hanák)
Dé móku ze mléna na vozék

Moravian-Slovak: Eastern Moravian
Daj múku ze mlýna na vozík

Silesian:Lachian-Silesian (Silesian-Moravian), Silesian-Polish Silesian-Moravian
Daj muku ze mlyna na vozík

SLOVAKIA

Standard Slovak (spisovná slovencina)
Daj múku z mlyna na vozík.

Western Slovak:
Northern
Hodz (Daj?) múku z mlýna na vúz (vozík?).
South-western
Daj múku ze mlyna na vozík.
South-eastern
???

Central Slovak:
Northern
Daj múku z mlyna na blahobyt (?).
Southern
???

Eastern Slovak:
South-western
Daj múku z mlyna na vozík.
Central
Daj muku z mlina na vozik.
Eastern
Daj muku z mlina na vozik.

Other groups
Goral, Ukrainian, Hungarian area
Not applicable?

Dear all,

As part of some work I am doing on Czech attitudes to things Slovak (especially language issues), I have taken a sentence suggested by J. V. Neustupný & J. Nekvapil to illustrate Czech dialectal variation, Dej mouku ze mlýna na vozík, and sought to extend it eastwards. The schema below should give some indication of how the sentence changes (assuming that you can read it!), but I can also send individuals an attachment which provides a clearer overview, if required.

I wonder whether any Slovak speakers can offer refinements (or know of anyone who might be able to offer refinements), bearing in mind that I don't want to over-complicate matters with too much localised variation. I would particularly like to hear suggestions for the basic dialectal forms used in Western Slovak (south-eastern area) and Central Slovak (southern area).

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

--