Slovak dialects

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed Jul 23 13:35:15 UTC 2008

Thomas,

Are you quite sure about the Common Czech macrodialectical variant of vozík
as vozejk? In my (limited) understanding and (limited) experience, the ý/ej
alternation is not generally extended to í/ej.

Cheers,
David Powelstock

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Dickins, Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:54 AM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Slovak dialects

Dear all,

As part of some work I am doing on Czech attitudes to things Slovak
(especially language issues), I have taken a sentence suggested by J. V.
Neustupný & J. Nekvapil to illustrate Czech dialectal variation, Dej mouku
ze mlýna na vozík, and sought to extend it eastwards. The schema below
should give some indication of how the sentence changes (assuming that you
can read it!), but I can also send individuals an attachment which provides
a clearer overview, if required.

I wonder whether any Slovak speakers can offer refinements (or know of
anyone who might be able to offer refinements), bearing in mind that I don't
want to over-complicate matters with too much localised variation. I would
particularly like to hear suggestions for the basic dialectal forms used in
Western Slovak (south-eastern area) and Central Slovak (southern area).

All suggestions appreciated.

CZECH REPUBLIC

SLOVAKIA

Codified varieties

Standard Czech (spisovná cestina)

Dej mouku ze mlýna na vozík

Standard Slovak (spisovná slovencina)

Daj múku z mlyna na vozík.

Macrodialects

Common Czech (obecná cestina)

Dej mouku ze mlejna na vozejk

Traditional dialects (and dialect groups)

Bohemian*

North-eastern, Central, South-western, Czech-Moravian

Dej mouku ze mlejna na vozejk

Western Slovak

Northern

Hodz (Daj?) múku z mlýna na vúz (vozík?).

South-western

Daj múku ze mlyna na vozík.

South-eastern

???

Central Moravian (Hanák)

Dé móku ze mléna na vozék

Central Slovak

Northern

Daj múku z mlyna na blahobyt (?).

Southern

???

Eastern Moravian

Moravian-Slovak

Daj múku ze mlýna na vozík

Eastern Slovak

South-western

Daj múku z mlyna na vozík.

Central

Daj muku z mlina na vozik.

Eastern

Daj muku z mlina na vozik.

Silesian

Lachian-Silesian (Silesian-Moravian), Silesian-Polish Silesian-Moravian

Daj muku ze mlyna na vozík

Other groups

Goral, Ukrainian, Hungarian area

Not applicable?

* In practice, Bohemian dialects are largely synonymous with common Czech,
although parts of western and south-western Bohemia (including the city of
Plzen and the west of the district of Práchensko) retain distinctive
dialectal features.

Thanks,

Tom

--