Slovak dialects

Wed Jul 23 15:05:17 UTC 2008

Dickins, Thomas wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Further to my last email, the schema didn't quite come out as
> intended! Here's a simplified version (without boxes, highlighting,
> italics etc.). I'm sorry that the system doesn't seem to like my
> hácky.

"The system" that doesn't like your hácky is Western encoding. I don't
know MS Exchange, so I can't offer specific instructions, but if you
want to send hácky, you must convince your program to use either Unicode
(as I am doing) or one of the Central European encodings (ISO 8859-2,
Windows-1250).

Of the following 26 CE characters:
	Áá Ää Ąą Čč Ćć Ďď Éé Ěě Ęę Íí Ľľ Łĺ Ňň
	Ńń Óó Řř Ŕŕ Šš Śś Ťť Úú Ůů Ýý Žž Źź Żż
Western encoding includes only these nine:
	Áá Ää             Éé       Íí
	   Óó       Šš       Úú    Ýý Žž

I've ignored the Magyar vowels with umlaut and double acute accent as
you won't need them for Czech or Slovak.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com