translation from 1920s (Vertov)

Wilkinson, C cxwilkinson at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 11 20:34:59 UTC 2008

"Step it up, Soviet" changes the meaning quite considerably.

The film was made at the behest of the Executive Committee of the Moscow
Soviet as an "information film" about forthcoming elections. This probably
best conveyed in the film's French title, "Le Soviet de Moscou dans le
présent, le passé et l'avenir" (see
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017372/other names/akas).

IMDB (see above link) gives 2 English versions: "Forward, Soviet!" or
"Stride, Soviet!"

I would hazard to suggest that you could also try "Step Forward, Soviet!" to
give the notion of putting oneself forward for selection/election.

Regards, C. Wilkinson