Fwd: SEELANGS Digest - 16 Mar 2008 (#2008-104)

Paul Richardson paulr at RUSSIANLIFE.NET
Mon Mar 17 14:25:34 UTC 2008

Klawa:

A couple of things.

First, you are welcome to use our online article "Does Russia Matter"
in any way you see fit (the date reads 2003, the original pub date,
but we have supplemented and updated the information from time to
time; if anyone has additional points worth adding, send me a note):
http://www.russianlife.com/article.cfm?Number=1672

Second, as you know (since your school is on the beneficiary list)
Russian Life (through self-sponsorship and through donations made by
its regular readers) has for several years been distributing copies of
the magazine to high schools and college Russian programs, as a way to
encourage student interest in Russian culture, history and society
(and thus language). If anyone reading this wants to join or read
about the program, see: http://www.russianlife.com/educpatr.cfm

As part of this "Education Patrons" program, we gather and maintain
information on Russian language programs in the US. Here is some of
the data we gathered in the last year:

Of the 115 schools which responded to our most recent survey of class
size (we estimate this represents half of the total universe of
students and classes), there were:
First year students: 3761
Second year and beyond: 3899
Total number of classes: 706
Total number of students: 8280

Schools polled which said quantity of Russian language students is:
Declining: 15.3%
Stable: 61.1%
Growing: 23.6%

Schools polled which said their Russian language program is:
Threatened 35.5%
Safe: 64.5%

Of course we are biased. Russian is extremely relevant. And our
numbers indicate that there is still stable nationwide interest in
taking Russian. It could of course be higher. But it seems to me that
the numbers have been mostly steady since the drop in the mid-1990s...

Best of luck,

Paul Richardson
Publisher