AW: [SEELANGS] Grossman question

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Fri Apr 3 15:32:45 UTC 2009

Nonethelss, even though Katarina is right about her comment, the change, from the normal Russian kvartal'nyj, to the abnormal--usually, purely temporal Russian POkvartal'nyj, calls for attention. Pokvartal'nyj upolnomochennyj would mean someone who writes quarterly denunciations. The fact that this title refers to a collaborator with the Nazis suggests a certain associative link between such Soviet informers and Nazi collaborators. Whether this hint of a link is translatable is another matter. All I can hope for is that Robert can do the impossible, precisely about such hints of links--having worked with him on Platonov, I now fully trust his genius for doing the impossible.