Internships and teaching English in Russia

Sara Stefani sstefani at OBERLIN.EDU
Fri Apr 17 20:59:15 UTC 2009

Dear Jane,
Years ago (in 1993) I went to Moscow on an internship with Interperiodica
Publishing. They translate journals of the Russian Academy of Sciences into
English and hire recent college graduates to come over to work as English
editors. I just checked on-line (www.maik.ru) and it appears that they still
exist. It's been quite a long time since I worked with them, but when I was
there it was a perfectly legitimate place, and a great experience for a
recent graduate. The salary wasn't anything spectacular, but they provide
visa support and help with housing, so it's a good way for somebody to get
there and get the lay of the land. Here is their announcement (and p.s. I
did *not* have a science background!):

-- PAID INTERNSHIP: EDITOR--

Participate in a one-year editing internship in Moscow, Russia: IAPC
“Nauka/Interperiodica” offers a limited number of qualified individuals the
opportunity to work as Language Editors. Language Editors are responsible
for the clarity of the language in journals translated from Russian into
English by Russian scientists. Applicants must be native speakers of English
with a minimum of two years college-level Russian-language study (or the
equivalent). Editing experience and a scientific background are pluses.
Language editors will receive:

   - Monthly salary
   - Flexible vacation based on journal schedules and deadlines
   - Visa support
   - Assistance in obtaining housing

Good luck to your student!

best,