help with Ukrainian saying

Burak,Alexander Lvovich alburak at UFL.EDU
Thu Apr 23 20:06:18 UTC 2009

I would suggest: It's neither here nor there.

Alex.

Alexander Burak
Assistant Professor of Russian Studies
Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
University of Florida
Office phone: (352) 273-3798
E-mail: alburak at ufl.edu
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of George Hawrysch [zolotar at INTERLOG.COM]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:27 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] help with Ukrainian saying

"Na horodi buzyna, a Kyivi diad'ko."

"Mixing apples and oranges" isn't quite it. That one
refers to a relationship in which a comparison would
not be valid despite some superficial similarity. "Na
horodi..." refers to a situation in which there is no
relationship at all between the items mentioned, a non
sequitur or an inanity. I don't know of an exact English
equivalent.

In his 1997 book, "My Years with Gorbachev and
Shevardnadze: The Memoir of a Soviet Interpreter,"
Pavel Palazchenko describes at length how Gorbachev
sprang this saying on him during a Reagan summit. The
author goes on about how how well he translated it,
but in fact his account shows that he got it wrong.
Unfortunately I don't have the book to hand.

George Hawrysch