Question about usage of names and social convention

Marsha Shisman Shisman at JHF.ORG
Tue Apr 28 23:42:51 UTC 2009

Yes, in Russian language you are not telling "he/she" in presence of
that person.  This will not be considered as polite and/or professional
behavior.

Thank you for asking a good question.

MS

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Nola
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Question about usage of names and social convention

A book I am using says: "Unlike in English, it is customary in Russian
to address an interlocutor by name on a regular basis in normal or
formal conversation."
Does it mean when you are talking to somebody, during the conversation
you use their name a lot, such as :Yes, Paul, I agree. Paul, have you
got any idea what we are talking about here? Paul, that's splendid.  -?
OR does it mean...whe there is a conversation with more than 2 people
participating, then when one refers to the one he is not addressing,
instead of saying "he", he will be named by name--

for example: John,Paul, George and Ringo are all sitting at a table
having fish and chips and talking together . John says to Ringo about
George:  "He always puts the salt shaker over there where I can't reach
it, the crazy bloke" , but Russians would go ahead and say "George
always puts the salt shaker over there where I can't reach it"..even
though George is sitting right there and everybody would know who "he"
refers to.
Is that  what it means?

-Nola

 -------------------Cyrillic encoding:  KOI8-R  or Windows Cyrillic