Help identifying a translation

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jun 1 13:39:34 UTC 2009

Emily Johnson wrote:
> Can anyone help me to identify to translator who created what appears
> now to be the standard Russian-language version of the following
> citation from
> Byron’s, “Fare Thee Well”:
>
> "Proshchai, proshchai, i esli--
> navsegda, to navsegda proshchai!

According to the note to the Kozlov translation in "Mastera russkogo
stikhotvornogo perevoda" (Biblioteka poeta, Bol'shaia seriia, 1968) the
poem was also translated by N. Spiglazov, Aleko and T. Gnedich. Pursuing
the matter further, I discovered that Spiglazov's translation was
published in "Sovremennik" 1849 (or earlier? - in any case not too long
before an 1850 "Sovremennik" article by Nekrasov about "Russkie
vtorostepennye poety"), otd. VI, s. 139. "Aleko" was the pseudonym of A.
I. Stronin, who published a collection of Byron translations under the
title "Bairon v perevodakh Aleko" in 1886. T. Gnedich was Tat'iana
Grigor'evna Gnedich (1907-1976).

Bob Rothstein