Question about 3rd-4th-year Russian textbooks

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue May 5 04:51:46 UTC 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009 18:03:30 -0400
  Laura Kline <klinela at COMCAST.NET> wrote:
> Dear All,
> If you use Golosa I and Golosa II, what textbook(s) do you use for
>3rd- and
> 4th-year Russian?

Dear Laura:
We collapse 3rd and 4th year into one group and offer four
non-sequential classes which the students are free to take in any
order. Often these courses stresses a particular skill set or build
particular vocabulary, to focus away from the presumed differences in
student preparation.

We use _V puti_ as background grammar text in most of them, with
supplementary materials drawn from other texts focused fundamentally
on grammar.

Below are the texts we have used (or in one case are considering
using) -- some must be supplemented with grammar, others incorporate
it.

_Cinema for Russian Conversation (Kashper, Kagan, Morozova)_.
_A Guide to Essay Writing in Russian_  (Svetlana and Stephen
LeFleming)
_Let’s Talk About Life!_  (Emily Tall & Valentina Vlasikova).
-Russkie kul'turnye idiomy. ("Inside the Russian Soul: A Historical
Survey of Russian Cultural Patterns") - Yulia Nemirovskaia
_Advanced Russian Through History_ Rifkin, Kagan, Yatsenko
_Russian in Use.  An Interactive Approach to Advanced Communicative
Competence_.  Sandra Freels Rosengrant

Hope this helps,
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor