Povest' - etymology, thoughts?

Lyudmila Grinshpan milagrinshpan at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 15 18:39:14 UTC 2009

Школьный этимологический словарь русского языка
← назад  вперед →

ПОВЕСТЬ. Общеслав. Суф. производное (суф. -ть, см. весть) от pověděti "рассказать", преф. образования от věděti. См. ведать, свидетель. Повесть буквально — "рассказ".
 http://slovari.yandex.ru/dict/shansky/article/2/sha-3759.htm&stpar1=1.8.1

--- On Fri, 5/15/09, Natasha Randall <nsrandall at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

From: Natasha Randall <nsrandall at EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: [SEELANGS] Povest' - etymology, thoughts?
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Friday, May 15, 2009, 12:35 PM

Dear SEELANGers,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a discussion about the word 'povest'' and its origins? I'm wondering why the word was used to describe the thing... I want particularly to understand attitudes towards the novel in centuries past. I can see how 'roman' came about...

Thank you in advance,
Natasha Randall
Translator

options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: