Experience with / Interest in the Nota Bene word processing and reference management software

David Goldfarb davidagoldfarb at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 26 09:34:02 UTC 2009

I've been using NotaBene since around v. 2.1 in the mid-1980s (and I
used XY-write II+, which was the core of the DOS version of NB before
that) and recommend it highly.  It continues to be the only serious
word processor for writing in the humanities.

The MLA endorsed it at one point, because even under DOS it could
handle all European languages including Hebrew, Yiddish, Greek,
Cyrillic, OCS, and other European medieval languages, and it could
automatically format documents according to academic style manuals,
including bibliographies.  The downside of all this functionality,
however, was something of a steep learning curve, and if you wanted to
print some of the more exotic characters, you might have had to design
the fonts yourself and learn to download them to a dot matrix printer
(which I did for OCS and Polish).

The current version for Windows is much easier to get started with,
since there are now menus that allow you to work with it like any
Windows-based word processor, but they've expanded the style manual
and database functions, so that it now can format footnotes and
endnotes as well as bibliographic entries.  The key to this is that
you enter bibliographic information into a bibliographic database and
as you are writing, you incorporate references to the database, and
when you select the style, all the right information will be in the
notes and bibliographic entries in the correct order with the right
punctuation, maybe with a little minor manual editing.  So say you
publish an article in a journal that uses MLA style and want to
incorporate it into a book using Chicago style, that conversion can be
pretty much automated.  Also, if you write something new with
references that are already in the database, you don't have to
re-enter that information.

They have also improved the file conversion utilities, so that if you
need to submit a Word-compatible version of a document for
publication, it converts fairly reliably to RTF format, which is
native to MSWord and is recognized by most other word processors and
desktop publishing programs, and there are other conversion options as
well.

The support staff at NotaBene also understand the requirements of
academic writing and publishing, unlike, say, the Microsoft Help Desk,
and if you are having a problem getting your citations to look right,
they'll know what you're talking about.  Or if there is some language
issue or other previously undiscovered software problem the program
can't handle, they will usually fix it in the next upgrade.

--
David A. Goldfarb
http://www.davidagoldfarb.com