Film dubbing

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue Oct 20 00:36:14 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues:
This discussion couldn’t have come at a better time for me. I teach a
course entitled “Foreign Film” – I use Russian examples to deal with
cross-cultural issues and some common concepts of filmmaking/ viewing,
and then let the students do their own projects (“sneak previews” and
papers) on whatever (approved) film they want, provided it is in a
language other than English. We’re in the “sneak preview” period, and
when there are no student presentations, I’m using “Moscow Doesn’t
Believe In Tears” in serial soap opera form.   We’re about halfway
through, and the DVD is freezing due to a number of scratches, so I
decided to switch over to the dubbed VHS version that I got by mistake
many years ago.  So we’re watching the dubbed version right now, and
will be choosing some of the scenes to compare with the subtitled
version.
It’s a GER course, so only two students out of 24 have taken Russian.
If you don’t mind, I’ll share some of this discussion with my students
when we get to the end.

Melissa Smith

Danko Sipka wrote:

>I was not following this thread and if this was already mentioned, I
>apologize.
>Poland is very interesting in this regard with TV movies being dubbed
and
>movies in theaters subtitled.
>Attempts to use subtitling on TV have all failed and one argument being
>mounted is that for the speakers of Slavic languages (highly inflected
and
>with unpredictable word order) it is more difficult to follow the
subtitles
>than for say English speakers. For those who can read Polish, more on
that
>can be found here:
>http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/MegaBBS/thread-view.asp?threadid=10879&messageid=151622.
>This argument is not supported by ex-Yugoslav countries, where
everything is
>subtitled. The choice seems to be a matter of tradition.
>Also, there is a recent publication on the topic under discussion:
>http://www.verlagdrkovac.de/3-8300-4401-1.htm.
>Best,
>
>Danko
>
>Danko Sipka
>Editor, Journal of Less Commonly Taught Languages
>http://www.councilnet.org/jnclctl/index.htm
>Professor of Slavic Languages and Applied Linguistics
>School of International Letters and Cultures
>Arizona State University
>Web: http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka
>Mail: Danko.Sipka at asu.edu

-