C vs Co

Stefani, Sara Marie samastef at INDIANA.EDU
Tue Aug 3 17:03:39 UTC 2010

"Co" is used before words that begin with a consonant cluster that begins with "c" - so "со Стивом" or "со студенткой," but "c сестрой," "с Сергеем." But not in front of many other consonant clusters like "с профессором," "с Владом," "с братом." However, you do also say "со всеми," and "со мной," "со многими людьми."

Hope that helps.

Best,
sms

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] on behalf of Stephanie Briggs [sdsures at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 12:09 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] C vs Co

I thought it was just a matter of whether the target word starts with a "C"
- it if does, the extra vowel creates a liason which is easier to say.

Stephanie
~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
SECOND SALE: 28/07/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/