Archive file citation conventions?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Dec 8 11:24:03 UTC 2010

Precisely. But since Paul asks if there are standard renditions, I would
add that these are the standard abbreviations used in the standard
Russian method of giving a reference to a Russian archive. When citing a
Russian archive in English these are almost always transliterated in
academic works, not translated, because taken together they constitute a
unique reference, and to try to translate the individual components
would only cause confusion - imagine a non-Russianist in the US trying
to order a microfilm of a document from a Russian archive using a
translation of the terms, and how would someone unfamiliar with archive
terminology translate delo and opis' anyway?
The normal sequence is: Archive name; f. [fond , the name, and/or  the
number of the collection]; op. [opis', inventory - a printed, typed or
typewritten list]; d. (delo, the file/dossier/box number); l. or ll.
[listy, the folio number(s), followed by ob. to denote the verso ]. If
the item is paginated rather than foliated s. would denote the page number.
Will