Russian visa query

Adams Carroll adams.carroll at SMOLNY.ORG
Wed Dec 8 17:18:08 UTC 2010

Yes, although processing times will be longer and fees will vary by
consulate; expedited service is out of the question. Some consulates
(usually in smaller cities) will not process visas for American citizens, so
your student should call and check beforehand. In any case, he will need to
fill out an application specific to U.S. citizens (often available on the
consulate's website) and may need to provide additional documents at the
time of application. The process will be much easier if your student has
residence permit or similar document allowing residency in the third country
for more than 90 days. There is no standardization to these regulations and
they change frequently. Tell your student to get on skype and start calling
around! He should not plan on applying for his visa in a third country until
he has spoken with an officer at the consulate in question, and even then
should expect that the process will be a little more complex than if he were
to apply in the United States.

-A.C.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Elizabeth Skomp
<elizabethskomp at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
>

> One of my students will be studying in France next semester and hopes to
> spend summer
> 2011 in Russia.  Ideally he’d like to avoid a couple of extra
> transatlantic flights if possible, but I’m unsure of the current visa
> regulations as they pertain to a situation like this one.  Because
> preliminary web searches haven’t
> yielded the information we seek, I now appeal to your collective wisdom:
> may a U.S. citizen apply for a Russian visa at a Russian
> consulate or embassy outside the United States?
>

> Spasibo zaranee,
>
> Elizabeth Skomp
>
> Sewanee: The University of the South

Adams Carroll
Program Manager
Smolny College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
St. Petersburg, Russia
+7 (812) 324 07 72
+7 (921) 951 01 76