Russian visa query

Avram Lyon ajlyon at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 8 18:27:43 UTC 2010

2010/12/8 Elizabeth Skomp <elizabethskomp at hotmail.com>:
> ...yielded the information we seek, I now appeal to your collective wisdom: may a U.S. citizen apply for a Russian visa at a Russian
> consulate or embassy outside the United States?

Dear Elizabeth,

I had no problem applying for a Russian visa this August at the
consular division of the Russian embassy in Prague; they were prompt
and made no fuss about not being a Czech resident. I actually paid for
and received expedited service, so you may find that even that is not
out of the question. Experiences will certainly vary by consulate, so
it's worth calling the visa division and asking.

If for some reason it becomes necessary to have the visa processed at
a consulate in the US, the visa processing agencies should be able to
do it by mail if the student sends his passport express to the US. If
he isn't willing or able to be without his passport in France for a
week or so, then even the rarely used option of ordering a duplicate
passport (available at the citizen services division of any US
consulate) would be easier and cheaper than taking an extra
transatlantic round-trip.

Regards,

Avram Lyon