Russian visa query

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Wed Dec 8 21:08:27 UTC 2010

All,

For those reporting no problems with this - I would be very interested to
know:

1) the date that you last processed a outside your home country
2) if you are American
3) what consulate processed your visa
4) what document your stay in Europe was based on (student visas?)

There is indeed a 90-day rule. Russia legislated it many years ago,
although, as is their fashion, only started to implement and enforce it
about two years back. There is currently no European country that will allow
Americans to stay for longer than 90 days without an appropriate visa or
residency. Again, as with all things in Russian legislation, the enforcement
is known to be spotty and to change pretty quickly.

I assume that many of these experiences are from folks that spent a semester
in Europe - and therefore likely had a student or other visa good for longer
than 90 days.

Ukraine has actually made a small industry of selling residency to
foreigners who need to have their visas processed outside Russia. Georgia
allows Americans to stay 365 days without a visa, so that's currently
another possibility.

The advice here to call the particular consulate that you are planning to
apply to is solid - and the only way to be sure of how the rule is being
enforced at that particular consulate.

Processing the student visa a full semester in advance is also not possible
- the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will not allow that.

Not trying to scare anyone here - but Russian visas are tricky things and
always have been - you need to make sure that you plan well advance.

Best,

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org