чувствительность

Boris Dralyuk ingsoc at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Dec 11 18:42:33 UTC 2010

Dear Alexei,

I think "sentimentalism" might indeed the best choice overall.  The word
might also be rendered as "sensibility".

Yours,
Boris Dralyuk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexei Kutuzov" <alexei_kutuzov at YAHOO.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 5:54 PM
Subject: [SEELANGS] чувствительность

Dear Colleagues,

Could anyone recommend a translation for

Dear Colleagues,

Could anyone recommend a translation for чувствительность (in the
Karamzinian
sense of the word)? I sense that the English "sensitivity" could work,
except
that чувствительность for Karamzin is as much an emotional as it is an
aesthetic and ideological predisposition, if one may say so.
"Sentimentalism"
might be the best choice, if one disregards the differences between the
European
and Russian versions of the same thing, but I'd be ever so grateful for
suggestions or corrections from the list.

Thank you in advance, respected colleagues.

Alexei Kutuzov