чувствительность

Alexei Kutuzov alexei_kutuzov at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 11 01:54:43 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Could anyone recommend a translation for Ñ

Dear Colleagues,

Could anyone recommend a translation for чувствительность (in the Karamzinian
sense of the word)?  I sense that the English "sensitivity" could work, except
that чувствительность for Karamzin is as much an emotional as it is an
aesthetic and ideological predisposition, if one may say so.  "Sentimentalism"
might be the best choice, if one disregards the differences between the European
and Russian versions of the same thing, but I'd be ever so grateful for
suggestions or corrections from the list.

Thank you in advance, respected colleagues.

Alexei Kutuzov