Undergraduate literature conferences

Inna Caron caron.4 at BUCKEYEMAIL.OSU.EDU
Sat Dec 11 23:37:37 UTC 2010

Dear Olga,

I don't know if you received any responses off-list, but since none has been posted for public view I'll offer my two cents.

I don't have any information about the two undergraduate conferences you have mentioned, but a handful of my students had presented their papers at two different Midwest Slavic conferences. The initiative was minimal at first, but then it took off, not without help from several enthusiastic instructors at OSU and Kenyon College and the OSU Slavic Center, and the conferences started featuring a separate undergraduate tier. My students had greatly enjoyed their experience; one went on to develop her presentation into an article for publication, another - into a short story for her creative writing program. There may even be some accommodation funding available. They have just recently posted CFP for this upcoming year (please see below). It may be worth looking into.

Best wishes,

Inna Caron

From: Jennifer Suchland (suchland15 at humanities.osu.edu)
Date: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 1:09 PM
Call for Papers: 2011 Midwest Slavic Conference at OSU,
April 14-16, 2011 (application deadline January 15, 2011)

The Midwest Slavic Association and The Ohio State University’s
Center for Slavic and East European Studies are proud to announce
the 2011 Midwest Slavic Conference, to be held at the Blackwell’s
Pfahl Hall on the OSU campus April 14-16, 2011. Conference
organizers invite proposals for panels or individual papers addressing
all disciplines related to Russia, Eastern Europe, Central Asia, and
the Caucasus. The conference will open with a keynote address by
Dr. Sheila Fitzpatrick (University of Chicago) and a reception on
April 14th, followed by two days of panels.  If you would like to
participate, please send a one-paragraph abstract and brief C.V.
to csees at osu.edu  by January 15, 2011.

Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to submit
proposals. Limited funding may be available to subsidize student
hotel lodging.

Proposal Timeline (2011)
Application Deadline: January 15
Notification of Acceptance: February 15
Panels Announced: March 15
Full C.V. and Final Paper Submission Deadline: March 31
The 2011 Conference will run concurrently with the Midwest
Russian History Workshop. For more information, please
contact the Center for Slavic and East European Studies at
CSEES at osu.edu or visit http://slaviccenter.osu.edu.