Dostoyevsky's " Бесы"(The Possessed)

Alexei Kutuzov alexei_kutuzov at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 13 15:20:45 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Could anyone recommend a good English-language translation of Dostoyevsky's Бесы
(The Possessed)?  A friend of mine approached me with the Pevear and Volokhonsky
translation and asked if this were the one to go with.  I hesistated when I saw
this, and recommended instead the Magarshack version (with the only regret
that there is no scholarly commentary provided).  If you have any suggestions on
this account, they would be most welcome.

With supreme thanks,

Alexei Kutuzov