Dostoyevsky's " Бесы"(The Possess ed) plus Anna Karenina

Alexei Kutuzov alexei_kutuzov at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 13 17:40:46 UTC 2010

Thank you for your most thoughtful suggestions so far
Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for your most thoughtful suggestions so far.  I have not consulted the
Maguire / Belknap translation, but will certainly do so now.  Thank you for
directing my attention to it.

Not to broach a rather sensitive topic on this list, but Professor Goscilo
touches on a good point.  The husband-wife duo, while very productive, not only
make mistakes frequently, but also seem to have a difficult time rendering basic
Russian-language idioms into sensible English.  Saul Morson seems to be one of
the few people in our profession who have taken a critical look into the Pevear
and Volokhonsky translations (see, for instance,
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/viewarticle.cfm/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature-15468),
 and it would be good to see others straying away from the hagiographical
reception the American academy has given them.  It is a shame, too, that
what Pevear and Volokhonsky present to students by way of commentaries and
introductions seems to pass as authoritative, which is truly unfortunate.  The
introduction to Notes From Underground, for instance, in which Pevear dismisses
all translations of Dostoevsky written before his own, cites the folkloric
tradition of the Russian "wicked witch" (злая ведьма) as justification for
rendering Я злой человек as "I am a wicked man"  (from the opening line of
Notes).  Surely, if there was ever an instance of bad faith on the part of a
translator, then this is it:  not only does the wicked with, Baba Yaga, have
nothing to do with Dostoevsky's Notes, but any native speaker of Russian will
tell you that one of the primary meanings of злой is "angry," or "spiteful" (for
better or for worse, Garnett got this right).  "Wicked" is at best a secondary
meaning.

With warmest regards,

Alexei Kutuzov