Dostoyevsky's " Бе сы"(The Possess ed) plus Anna Kareni na

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Dec 14 11:41:50 UTC 2010

Dear Alexei,

I don't see any need for sarcasm at my expense.   I would have thought that my frequent asking of questions makes it clear that I have a reasonably clear sense of my own limitations.

All the best,

R.

On 13 Dec 2010, at 23:29, Alexei Kutuzov wrote:

> Thank you for your comment.  I can only s
> Dear Professor Meerson,
>
> Thank you for your comment.  I can only say, with all due deference and
> respect, that calling someone a bad child is also not particularly enlightening,
> nor is a hagiographic stance vis-a-vis Sir Robert Chandler (who, while a genius,
> often gets a fair amount of help on his translations from this list).  Saul
> Morson is one of the most respected names in American Slavic, and his views,
> while often polemical, problematic, or what you will, should be engaged with
> seriously.  I urge you to read his reviews of Pevear and Volokhonsky, and also
> to read their texts closely.  As someone with excellent command of English and
> Russian, you will surely see many unfortunate mistakes and choices in their
> work.  I stand by my earlier comment regarding Pevear's unduly pretentious
> remarks in his translation of Dostoevsky's Notes.
>
> With best wishes to the list and thanks for its members indulgence!
>
> AK

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD

tel. +44 207 603 3862