Dostoyevsky's " Бе сы"plus Anna Karenina plus amour-propre

Alexei Kutuzov alexei_kutuzov at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 14 17:58:09 UTC 2010

I thank you sincerely for your responses to my post, and I r
Dear All,

I thank you sincerely for your responses to my post, and I regret any offense I
may have caused anyone during this very engaging exchange.  But before this
thread degenerates hopelessly into maudlin praise and half-hearted gestures of
"goodwill," I'd like to suggest that criticism of the sort I and others offer
should be responded to professionally, not in a manner that betrays whatever
loyalties people may feel towards others (which is utterly unproductive, sorry
to say it) and which obscures matters more important to scholars and critics.
That said, I'd like to return to my initial post (which, in fact, had nothing to
do with the Robert Chandlers and Olga Meersons on this list).  I would like
to examine one passage from the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of / intro to
Dostoevsky's Notes for consideration (afterwards, I promise not to post anything
further).  It comes from the passage I have already cited:  Peavear's intro.  He
writes:

"There is, however, one tradition of mistranslation attached to Notes From
Underground that raises something more than a question of "mere tone."  The
second sentence of the book, Ya zloy chelovek, has most often been rendered as
"I am a spiteful man."  Zloy is indeed at the root of the Russian word
"spiteful" (zlobnyi), but it is a much broader and deeper word, meaning
"wicked," "bad," "evil."  The wicked witch in Russian folktales is zlaya ved'ma
(zlaya being the feminine of zloi).  The opposite of zloy is dobryi, "good," as
in "good fairy" (dobraya feja).  This opposition is of great importance for
Notes From Underground; indeed it frames the book, from "I am a wicked man" at
the start to the outburst close to the end:  "They won't let me... I can't be...
good!"  We can talk forever about the inevitable loss of nuances in translating
from Russian into English (or from any language into any other), but the
translation of zloy as "spiteful" instead of "wicked" is not inevitable, nor is
it a matter of nuance.  It speaks for the habit of substituting the
psychological for the moral, of interpreting a spiritual condition as a kind of
behavior, which has so bedeviled our century, not least in its efforts to
understand Dostoevsky.  Besides, "wicked" has the lucky gift of picking up the
internal rhyme in the first two sentences of the original."

There is much balderdash here, but I will point to the most obvious offenses,
namely:  the assumption of rhyme (no, "wicked" and "sick" do not rhyme, and
if the Russian "Я человек больной... Я злой человек" naturally contains some
sort of "poetic gift" it is not the one Pevear would like to bequeath to us);
the discussion of fairies and witches has virtually nothing to do with
Dostoevsky's Notes, but the bigger point here is that Pevear makes the
assumption that one word means exactly another in a different language.  This is
the mark of bad faith and fraudulence, for as any good translator knows, There
is no one-to-one correspondence across languages.  To assume that zloi means
wicked (which it doesn't) is to drastically limit and distort the range of
meanings at stake in Dostoevsky's text (let's agree:  the valence of zloi here
cannot even be delimited to "spiteful," let alone "wicked," which changes the
meaning of the entire text; but even if we decide to be generous and allow
"wicked," it is this kind of banal, "dangerous literalism" for which husband and
wife have been praised and on which their enterprise rests); and finally, if
anyone buys the criticism of the substitution of the "psychological for the
moral" which informs Pevear's choice, I'll leave that to his or her discretion.
If anyone is in need of an insanely comical read, take a look at page one of the
text where Pevear renders "я ни шиша не смыслю в моей болезни" as "I don't know
a fig about my sickness."  If anyone agrees that this is an acceptable English
idiom, and not a calque, I will eat my lecture notes.  Poetic gifts indeed.

AK