Dostoyevsky's " Бе сы"plus Anna Karenina plus amour-propre

greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Tue Dec 14 18:48:15 UTC 2010

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your straightforward answer!  That means that I probably did not quite understand "amour-propre".  "Self-esteem" is an unquestionably positive term here in America, as far as I can tell, while amour-propre seemed more like samoliubie to me, not all positive.  I may have inadvertently misrepresented Prof. Robert Belknap's lectures.  Maybe it was in connection with "Emile" that he mentioned it.  It's been 30 years...

Thanks again, and all the best,
Svetlana