Dostoyevsky's " Бе сы"plus A nna Karenina plus amour-propre

Lewis B. Sckolnick info at RUNANYWHERE.COM
Tue Dec 14 19:40:25 UTC 2010

  The structure of the word /samoliubie/ implies self-love and you can
be egotistical without having self-love.

The Ledge House, Leverett,

Lewis B. Sckolnick

> Just a remark on the margin of this interesting discussion - what
> about using "egoism" as an English equivalent of "samoliubie"? I was
> translating Meredith's "The Egoist" (1879) into Polish many years ago
> - as "Samolub" (an abandonned project, unfortunately, due to the
> profound changes of Polish book market in the early 1990s).
>
> Jan Zielinski
> Berne

Lewis B. Sckolnick
The Ledge House