Dostoyevsky's " Бе сы"plus Anna K arenina plus amour-propre

David Powelstock powelstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Dec 14 21:29:32 UTC 2010

There is a French tradition (Mandeville, Rousseau, others) of distinguishing
*amour-propre *from *amour de soi, *the latter being more positive, close to
'self-esteem,' while the former is more negative. There is a substantial
discussion of this distinction and its history in Jerrold Seigel's
remarkable *The Idea of the Self. *Svetlana, your memory is astounding--*Emile
*is the locus classicus for this in Rousseau's works.

I don't currently have access to all my translations of *Zapiski*, but
Matlaw has, "I am terribly vain." I much prefer this to P&V's rather clunky,
"I have a terrible *amour-propre.*" "Uzhasno samoliubiv" is simple, direct,
energetic--as is Matlaw's translation. Presumably because *amour-propre *has
no adjectival form, much less one that would be familiar to Anglophones, P&V
turn it into a noun. This dissipates the contentious, speech-like vigor that
characterizes so much of the UGM's text. That would be more forgivable if
there were no alternative; but there is: 'vain.' It is at least as accurate
as *amour-propre*, and has the added virtue of being as clear in English as
'samoliubiv' is in Russian.

Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Brandeis University

P&V frequently create nouns out of adjectives in order to accommodate what
they judge to be the more accurate word