Dostoyevsky's " Бе сы"plus Anna Karenina plus amour-propre

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Dec 15 16:10:33 UTC 2010

What you've zeroed in on, Alexei, falls into the general category of the rhetoric of re-translation, in which the translator attempts to justify the new version. One of the most common ways this has been done, reaching all the way back to Jerome, is by claiming that the previous versions got something wrong. Pevear's "tradition of mistranslation" characterization of previous translations clearly takes up this line. And yes, in general, they and their publishers (and some reviewers) have used a sort of "return to the source" rhetoric (it's not the only one available) as part of their marketing effort, e.g., the sentence in the source was awkward and repetitive, so the "authentic" English version should be awkward and repetitive in the same way. There are plenty of problems with this way of thinking, and maybe we can discuss them if people are interested.

The rationale he provides in the remainder of the paragraph indicates the profound role of interpretation that accompanies what some have characterized as the "mere creation of Anglophone versions." He attempts to articulate a very small part of the interpretive dimension that usually remains invisible anywhere but in the translated words themselves. If he had merely left the choice "wicked" without comment, I think many readers would have said great, look, another possible rendering, and an enrichment of the stock of English versions. Wicked is a possibility after, as is evil, and bad and plenty of others. Why not simply "I'm malevolent" as that opening salvo? Chelovek isn't always man after all, and maybe our male-centered versions have missed something fundamental (in the rhetoric of re-translation sense) about the book that is about people, not just men. We'd have to come up with a different acronym for him, in that case. Try reading "I'm malevolent" a few times aloud. Poetry.

The rhetoric of re-translation is not something that translators engage in all by themselves. Publishers may be the driving force. Luckily, these works tend to be in the public domain, so anyone can do a version. We can all do our own, in fact. There can be folk versions (like the illegal Harry Potter ones), and annotated ones, and experimental ones. This is about the best thing that can happen to canonical works in translation, it seems to me, since the valences and nuances and interpretive assumptions behind any one version can be enriched by others. Copyright restricts this for more contemporary works, which is probably good for authors and publishers (and a handful of translators) but it's too bad for literature.

I suspect he's right about the tendency to substitute the psychological for the moral, at least in interpreting this particular work in English. It puts the UGM into the existential angst category, where he's been at home in English at least since Walter Kaufmann. If the novella is about evil, and good, as opposed to the idiosyncrasies of a certain psychologically unusual paradoxicalist, that changes the conversation a lot. Absolutely agreed about the fig.

Russell

Russell Scott Valentino
Professor and Chair
Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
http://ccl.clas.uiowa.edu<http://ccl.clas.uiowa.edu/>
Editor, The Iowa Review
http://www.iowareview.org<http://www.iowareview.org/>
University of Iowa