SEELANGS" Omissions in translations?

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue Dec 14 17:42:07 UTC 2010

Thanks, Russell. I found that one could subscribe to "Words without
Borders" for free. Perhaps that is there theis discussion belongs!

Melissa Smith

On 12/14/10 10:59 AM, Valentino, Russell wrote:
> I use comparative translation regularly and also ask students to
create versions of their own translations in some classes. There are
some drawbacks: comparative translations are generally only available
for works in the public domain, which means it's more difficult to get
a broad cross-section of gender, race, and class when using them; for
long prose works, it's not generally practical. I've had good success
using it with Eugene Onegin.

> On this topic, some might find the pieces I wrote on the use of
translation in teaching for WWB a while back useful. There are three:
"Teaching in Translation," "Translation and Proficiency Language
Teaching," and "Translation and the Teaching of Literature." You can
find the last one here:
http://wordswithoutborders.org/dispatches/article/translation-and-the-teaching-of-literature/,
along with links backward to the other two.