queries/An-sky

Moshe Taube mstaube at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Fri Dec 17 15:06:22 UTC 2010

Could любка be simply the diminutive of любовь, with the meaning 'amourette', 'passing infatuation' or 'flirt', as it is in Yiddish: ליובקע pl. ליובקעס, attested in Niborski's Yiddish-French dictionary, and clearly deriving from Russian? Seems to me it could fit well into a description of the alternative to the serious young fellow that the father urges her to marry - a frivolous womanizer.

Moshe Taube
On Dec 16, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Katz, Michael R. wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> I am finishing my annotated translation of S. An-sky's novel "Pionery" (1906) and am mystified by three phrases:
>
> 1) An irate father says to his daughter (who is refusing to marry the man he has picked out for her):
>
> "Tebe, mozhet byt', okazhetsya bolee podkhodyashchim zhenikh s belymi pugovitsami i s 'lyubkami'"?
>
> What could "lyubki" mean in this context?
>
> 2) A yeshiva boy studying read Russian is given a simple story (fable?) to read entitled:
>
> "Priznatel'nyi Vanya."
>
> I can't find a source. Any ideas?
>
> 3) One of the lads sings a sad song that begins:
>
> Chto ty, glupyi, coloveika,
> Pod moim zapel oknom?
> Al', ne znaesh', chto evreika
> Obitaet etot dom?
>
> I would be grateful for any hints, suggestions, clues you might have to help solve one or more of these puzzles.
>
> Michael Katz
> Middlebury College

Moshe Taube
mstaube at mscc.huji.ac.il