queries/An-sky

Thomas Hodge thodge at WELLESLEY.EDU
Fri Dec 17 15:53:50 UTC 2010

Dear Michael,
     Regarding query no. 3: this song might well be a parody of Aleksandr
Aliab'ev's famous song, "Solovei," which he composed in prison in 1826, on a
text by Del'vig; or the song in An-skii could even be a parody of one of
Aliab'ev's three other nightingale songs. I discuss these old warhorses of the
nineteenth-century Russian vocal repertoire in my _A Double Garland_
(Evanston: Northwestern UP, 2000), pp. 157-65.
     Good luck with the finishing touches!
          Tom

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:52:20 +0000, Katz, Michael R.
>3) One of the lads sings a sad song that begins:
>
>Chto ty, glupyi, coloveika,
>Pod moim zapel oknom?
>Al', ne znaesh', chto evreika
>Obitaet etot dom?
>
>I would be grateful for any hints, suggestions, clues you might have to help
solve one or more of these puzzles.