A question about Bazhov's life, and some translation questions

Rafael Shusterovich rafael.sh.77 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 28 16:50:15 UTC 2010

Hello Robert,

Below I signed my understanding of the passages in question with
bold-underlined font.

Regards,
Rafael

2010/12/28 Robert Chandler <kcf19 at dial.pipex.com>

> Dear all,
>
> This is a passage from his 'Горный мастер'.  Katya's zhenikh has
> disappeared, but she believes that he is still alive and will return to her.
>  Her brothers and sisters are all trying to persuade her to get married.
>  She has been keeping house for an old man called Prokopych, who has just
> died. I'll insert my questions into the text.
>
> Братья-сестры так поняли, что от Прокопьича деньжонки остались, и опять за
> свое:
> - Вот и вышла дура! Коли деньги есть, мужика беспременно в доме надо. Не
> ровен час, - поохотится кто за деньгами. Свернут тебе башку, как куренку.
> Только и свету видела.
>
> I'm not sure what this last idiom means.  Are they saying that she is young
> and naive and doesn't know anything about the wicked ways of the world?  Or
> are they saying that *she will die without having ever really lived*?  *(This
> may be derived from her answer.)* THe latter, I think?
> - Сколько, - отвечает, - на мою долю положено, столько и увижу.
>
> Братья-сестры долго еще шумели. Кто кричит, кто уговаривает, кто плачет, а
> Катя заколодила свое;
>
> - Продержусь одна. Никакого вашего жениха не надо. Давно у меня есть.
>
> Осердились, конечно, родные:
>
> - В случае, к нам и глаз не показывай!
>
> - Спасибо, - отвечает, - братцы милые, сестрицы любезные! Помнить буду.
> Сами-то не забудьте - мимо похаживайте!
>
> Is she defiantly saying that, if she is in need, she won't want their help?
>  Or is she telling then not to call on her if THEY ever need help? (*She
> is telling them: when passing my house, YOU do not forget you have decided
> not to help me ever.)
> *Смеется, значит. Ну, родня и дверями хлоп. Осталась Катя
> одна-одинешенька. Поплакала, конечно, сперва, потом и говорит:
>
> Does "Смеется, значит" mean that she was ONLY joking?  Or the opposite -
> that she has gone so far as to make fun of them?

*She tries to turn the whole situation to be a joke from THEIR part as if it
is not their real intention.*