A question about Bazhov's life, and some translation questions

Hugh McLean hmclean at BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Dec 28 20:18:51 UTC 2010

Robert Chandler wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This is a passage from his 'Горный мастер'.  Katya's zhenikh has disappeared, but she believes that he is still alive and will return to her.  Her brothers and sisters are all trying to persuade her to get married.  She has been keeping house for an old man called Prokopych, who has just died. I'll insert my questions into the text.
>
> Братья-сестры так поняли, что от Прокопьича деньжонки остались, и опять за свое:
> - Вот и вышла дура! Коли деньги есть, мужика беспременно в доме надо. Не ровен час, - поохотится кто за деньгами. Свернут тебе башку, как куренку. Только и свету видела.
>
> I'm not sure what this last idiom means.  Are they saying that she is young and naive and doesn't know anything about the wicked ways of the world?  Or are they saying that she will die without having ever really lived?  THe latter, I think?

I would guess: They'll twist your head off like a chicken, and that's
the last you'll see of the world.
> - Сколько, - отвечает, - на мою долю положено, столько и увижу.
>
> Братья-сестры долго еще шумели. Кто кричит, кто уговаривает, кто плачет, а Катя заколодила свое;
>
> - Продержусь одна. Никакого вашего жениха не надо. Давно у меня есть.
>
> Осердились, конечно, родные:
>
> - В случае, к нам и глаз не показывай!
>
> - Спасибо, - отвечает, - братцы милые, сестрицы любезные! Помнить буду. Сами-то не забудьте - мимо похаживайте!

They just told her to get lost, never show her face to them again. Her
reply is in the same vein, though surrounded by ironically used terms of
endearment. No, I don't think she was joking. Her laughter is defensive,
in keeping with her defiance, her stance of I won't succumb to your
pressure no matter what you say or threaten. I don't think she is
denying them help; she's just telling them to keep away from her.