Russian folkloric references to reanimated corpses

Dorian Juric dorian06 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 28 23:06:29 UTC 2010

I think that the responses to this question heading into Vampire territory is quite natural. If you're avoiding the connotation of zombies and trying to keep this ethnically Slavic then the revenants will end up with a vampiric name. That said, I think that the vlkodlak terms are shared evenly between vampires and werewolves and might not cover a zombie-type so well. I think Dr. Kononenko's mertvec, or Will Ryan's suggestions are the most sound. I would think that avoiding the words with too much 'sorceror' or 'werewolf' links would be the best, but vampire connotations are most likely unavoidable. Jan Machal also gives the name 'Oboroten' (probably another derivative of the upir/obir variants) for Russian vampires although I'm not sure how wide-spread that word is either.

good luck with your story
  Dorian Juric