Russian folkloric references to reanimated corpses

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Dec 27 16:13:22 UTC 2010

Eretik and eretun are regional, mostly as a synonym of koldun, and like
several other words, including upyr', can be also be used for revenants,
and more specifically for revenant vampires (vedun, ved’mak - from
vèdati, ‘to know’, esp. in Belorussia and the Ukraine, can be both
wizard and were-animal or revenant). In fact there is a long tradition
among the East Slavs which associates vampires and were-animals with
dead magicians because of the belief that the earth will not accept
their bodies when they die. The main other category of revenant is
suicides and other who have died 'unnaturally', who also cannot have
Christian burial (on these see D. K. Zelenin, Izbrannye trudy. Ocherki
russkoi mifologii: umershie neestvennoiu smert’iu i rusalki, Petrograd,
1916/Moscow, 1995 ). Other words used to mean revenants, or 'living
dead', are navy, nav' or simply mertvets/ mertviak or pokoinik in a
narrow special sense. See all these words in M. Vlasova, Entsiklopedia
russkikh sueverii, SPB 2008 and for the Slav world in general in
Slavianskie drevnosti (e.g. under ved'ma and koldun). I have discussed
some of these beliefs in my book The Bathhouse at Midnight (or Russian
corrected version Bania v polnoch', Moscow 2006, which has a better
index). The general history of vampirie beliefs is well discussed in P.
Barber, Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore and Reality, New Haven and
London, 1988. A good study of Russian vampire beliefs is Felix Oinas,
‘Heretics as Vampires and Demons in Russia’, in Essays on Russian
Folklore and Mythology, pp. 121–30.
Will Ryan