Google's Ngram Viewer

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Wed Dec 29 21:20:05 UTC 2010

Keep in mind that the n-gram viewer only finds words in published books and
scientific journals — so far. That means that a word had to become fairly
well established in the language before it would make it into what is surely
the most conservative of written media. (Certainly periodicals are quicker
on the uptake.) Take the word гей, which I remember hearing in the early
1990s in Leningrad. But the Google n-gram viewer shows it in the borrowed
English meaning only starting in mid-decade of the 2000s. (Previous cites
are for the last name Гей and an animal call.) For гей, that’s a 10-15 year
gap. Натурал is another example. Its Google n-gram career in the meaning of
‘straight’ appears to start in 1995, 10 years after I first heard the term
 — again in Leningrad.

-Rich Robin

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Vadim Besprozvanny <vbesproz at umich.edu>wrote:

> It would be useful to get a data showing to what extent the books available
> to Google represent the real picture. VB
>
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:05:52 +0100, "R. M. Cleminson" <rmcleminson at POST.SK
> >
> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the tool does not take account of orthographical reform.
> The
> > boom in срам after 1917 is matched by a corresponding decline in
> > срамъ.

Richard M. Robin
Director Russian Language Program
The George Washington University