Google's Ngram Viewer

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Thu Dec 30 01:39:18 UTC 2010

Exactly, this is one of many limitations one may encounter while using the
Google n-gram viewer. Number of words in published sources tells nothing
about the geographic, demographic, sociocultural localization of the words.

Adding to that a simple premise that vocabulary requires context (actually
a hierarchy of contexts) Even faceted search would instill a bit more
usability to the n-gram viewer. Otherwise I feel really puzzled about the
possibility to utilize this tool without falling into common linguistic
traps.

_VB