another translation question

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Mon Feb 22 19:05:46 UTC 2010

 What about something like: "my Russian tongue informs my every
utterance."

MelissaSmith

On 2/22/10 2:33 AM, Harlow Robinson wrote:
> thanks very much.
>
> Harlow

As politicians fret aboutthe political risks of health care reform
instead of fixing our broken system,people are dying. It's time for
Congress to stand up to Big Insurance and theirconservative allies and
get health care reform done, and done right.

That's why I just signed upto join MoveOn's Virtual March for Real
Health Care Reform. The goal is to senda million messages to Capitol
Hill on Wednesday, February 24, the day beforePresident Obama's big
health care summit with members of Congress.

Can you join in? Just clickhere:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=86481&rc=vm.mailto

Thanks!
> Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 12:17 AM
> Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] another translation question
>

> > To be absolutely honest, the quote itself sounds a bit strange to
the
> > modern
> > Russian ear. You can use 'slog' for style, yes, but you do not
normally
> > say
> > just 'I have a Russian style', since it does not make much sense.
Even
> > within the longer quotation (as suggested by Google) it sounds a bit
out
> > of
> > date, much more so on its own. So, I would not try to take it out
and
> > would
> > translate the whole thing like that: "I have spoken Russian all my
life,
> > have thought in Russian all my life, my manner [of speaking
(expression?)]
> > is Russian".
> > THat is I would definitely prefer manner to style.
> > And if hte idea of translation is to make it smooth and impressive,
> > "Russian
> > voice" seems great.
> > My two cents.
> > Elena Ostrovskaya
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Paul B. Gallagher <
> > paulbg at pbg-translations.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Of these two additional senses, I would say the former is closer to
the
> >> intended meaning (ranked from pedestrian to poetic):
> >>        I have a Russian style.
> >>        I have a Russian sound.
> >>        I have a Russian voice.
> >>
> >> --
> >> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
> >> --
> >> Paul B. Gallagher
> >> pbg translations, inc.
> >> "Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
> >> http://pbg-translations.com

> >>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

> >  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor