another translation question

Natasha Randall nsrandall at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Feb 22 19:34:28 UTC 2010

For what it's worth, I like Stravinsky's own quasi-poetic use of
'slog' and might make it plural but leave it relatively intact:
'My syllables are Russian.'

I don't know the context of this particular snippet but I do know he
was particularly interested in syllables when he composed. He once
wrote about Oedipus Rex: "When I work with words in my music, my
musical saliva is set in motion by the sounds and rhythms of the
syllables" (from Dialogues, not sure of the translation). Maybe he
was suggesting that his music contains some kind of Russian idiom/
timbre? It's a lovely way of thinking about it...

Yours,
Natasha Randall
Translator