Translation of medical specialty

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Fri Jan 22 11:05:07 UTC 2010

Changing the subject slightly, perhaps I could suggest that an alternative translation for санитарно-гигиенический факультет [sanitarno-gigienicheskij fakul'tet] might be Faculty/Department/School of Public Health.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:47:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Translation of medical specialty

[cut]

Finally, I would note that Russian medical schools typically have up to
five "факультеты" -- лечебный, педиатрический, санитарно-гигиенический,
стоматологический, and фармацевтический. I would be inclined to render
these as "School of Medicine," "School of Pediatrics," "School of
Hygiene and Sanitation," "School of Dentistry," and "School of Pharmacy"
(in a university context, some may prefer "College of..."). Then (При
этом) a doctor whose degree says "лечебное дело" (as opposed, say, to
"педиатрика") would be one who graduated from the "School of Medicine,"
which brings us back to the beginning of the discussion.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna