More antique Russian

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Jul 7 11:34:10 UTC 2010

Paul - since no one else has commented (summer vacation?), I can make
few points:

скаскою (skazkoiu) here means 'in a report'; the Berg-Kollegiia was one
of the 12 quasi-ministries set up by Peter the Great and continued until
the early 19th c. - it dealt with mines and minerals; the missing first
digit in the dates is quite normal in this period; peredvoit' is to
distill a second time (see Dal'), thus peredvoika = secondary
distillation; dostatok = a quantity, a supply.

The syntax is indeed convoluted, and the grammatical agreement peculiar,
but fairly typical of 18th c. officialese. I would guess the meaning to be:

    On the 19th of that October the aforementioned Priadunov in a
    presentation to the Berg-Kollegia displayed a quantity [of naphtha,
    i.e. petroleum] brought by him, Priadunov, and in 1746 and 1747 on
    the first of May [he brought] 40 puds of Russian naphtha [obtained]
    in the Pustozersk district on the river Ukhta to the laboratory of
    the Berg Kollegiia in Moscow, all of which was double distilled by
    the same Priadunov. And after the second distillation there appeared
    two thirds of pure naphtha, 26 puds, 26 and a half pounds in weight.

Perhaps someone can refine this further (pardon the pun).

Will