More antique Russian

Fri Jul 9 10:16:06 UTC 2010

William Ryan wrote:

> Paul - since no one else has commented (summer vacation?), I can make
>  few points:
>
> скаскою (skazkoiu) here means 'in a report'; the Berg-Kollegiia was
> one of the 12 quasi-ministries set up by Peter the Great and
> continued until the early 19th c. - it dealt with mines and minerals;
> the missing first digit in the dates is quite normal in this period;
> peredvoit' is to distill a second time (see Dal'), thus peredvoika =
> secondary distillation; dostatok = a quantity, a supply.
>
> The syntax is indeed convoluted, and the grammatical agreement
> peculiar, but fairly typical of 18th c. officialese. I would guess
> the meaning to be:
>
> On the 19th of that October the aforementioned Priadunov in a
> presentation to the Berg-Kollegia displayed a quantity [of naphtha,
> i.e. petroleum] brought by him, Priadunov, and in 1746 and 1747 on
> the first of May [he brought] 40 puds of Russian naphtha [obtained]
> in the Pustozersk district on the river Ukhta to the laboratory of
> the Berg Kollegiia in Moscow, all of which was double distilled by
> the same Priadunov. And after the second distillation there appeared
> two thirds of pure naphtha, 26 puds, 26 and a half pounds in weight.
>
> Perhaps someone can refine this further (pardon the pun).

Actually, several other people did help me, but they all wrote
privately, so I assume they prefer not to be publicly acclaimed for
their valuable contributions.

Still, your remarks confirmed what the others said, and filled in a gap
with скаскою (сказкою as you say). Thank you.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com