Equivalent to "corny"? Any suggestions?

Alex Shafarenko A.Shafarenko at HERTS.AC.UK
Mon Jul 26 20:53:34 UTC 2010

John, Anne-Marrie, Melissa, and Maureen,

The issue, I believe, is more subtle than one might think. It all depends on the stylistic context and the narrative
situation -- and, as I said, a word by itself can rarely be translated out of context.

First, John. Yes, indeed "банальный" would do, as in: "банальное любовное послание". However, the word corny according to Mr Webster
has the undertones of mawkishness and sentimentality, which is why I mentioned a corny movie to illustrate the sense in which
the word was used in the original. Банальный does not AT ALL convey this in Russian. It is rather unemotional. For instance,
a problem could have "банальное решение", i.e. a most straightforward, uninspired and uncontroversial one. As regards пошлый, yes,
it has the connotation you mentioned, too: "пошлая шутка" is precisely a salacious joke. However, a very common apology: "простите,
я волнуюсь и говорю пошлости", literally sorry, I am nervous and talk banalities, to a girl -- after you say to her that her teeth are like pearls, or her
lips are red corals, or some other mawkish nonsense -- demonstrates that the word "пошлость" does not necessarily presuppose vulgarity
or salaciousness. In fact, this particular context demonstrates another side of the rich (and barely translatable) semantic spectrum of it:
ostentatious bad taste.  "Пошлость" may or may not  be vulgar, obscene, etc., but it is always in incredibly bad taste or it is
not "пошлость" at all. That is why I am certain that the word "пошлый" fits the original context perfectly.

To Anne-Marie: Google translation sucks, for instance flimsy has nothing to do with пошлый, while platitudinous (although seems
very weak and too formal/pompous) has some connection.

To Melissa: if I am not mistaken, corny has two different connotations:  what you mentioned and the one referred to above. While being
linked etymologically, they are otherwise seem completely disconnected in parlance; otherwise calling a Hollywood tear-jerker corny
would not be correct in most cases. Indeed, if the context of the original example suggests that the golden silk simile is a provincial,
peasant turn of a phrase, not just a trivial sappy, overblown compliment, then I am completely wrong and my position
should be ignored, or rather used as an example of how translation is perilous without knowing the fullest possible
context of the original.

To Maureen: having spoken the language in question for well-nigh 50 years, I may be as well versed in it as any. Colloquial
words for lame in the sense (of something intended to be entertaining) uninspired and dull are тоскливый, занудный, etc.
None of them in my judgement can qualify a mawkish love letter. Or at least I can't imagine how it could.
Having said that, I am not particularly familiar with Russian teenagers' jargon du jour...

Regards,

Alex

Prof Alex Shafarenko
University of Hertfordshire